Thursday, July 08, 2010

Thursday, 8th July, 2010.
Approx, 13:00 hours.
After going to the local shops I chose to take the scenic route home. During my walk I found a rather nice and sturdy wooden branch about 5ft long, which with a bit of work can be made into a walking stick, so I decided to carry it home. I also found a discarded football which I reckoned a certain doggy friend of mine would love to play with, so I carried that home with me as well.

Approx, 13:15 hours.
Whilst walking through the park carrying my large branch, a bluebottle community police officer walks up to me and asked me what I was doing with the stick to which I replied 'I'm carrying it'.
"What do you mean by 'you're carrying it'? the CPO asked and so I replied that he'd asked what I was doing with the stick and I said I was carrying it.
"That's not what I meant" he carried on, "I want to know why you're carrying it!" to which I replied that getting it to fly like a broomstick was beyond my capabilities, so in order to get it back home I was carrying it.
For some reason he didn't like my rejoinder and rater brusquely asked me if I was trying to be funny to which I replied "No, it just comes naturally".
This caused the CPO to glare at me for a few seconds while he tried to think of what to say next. Eventually he asked me what I was intending to do with the stick once I got it back home, and so I informed him of my intentions of turning it into a walking stick.
Again he glared at me while muling over my reply and then asked me if I knew I could be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon, to which I said that as far as I knew, footballs were not generally used for such a purpose.
It was at that point I noticed a vein on the CPO's forehead begin the throb before he told me in no uncertain terms that he was talking about the branch and what was my problem?
Doing my best to look innocent and not burst out laughing, I told him that I did not have a problem with carrying a branch and a football through the park, but that possibly a few parts of our conversation had been rather misconstrued, and maybe he'd like to start again so we could straighten the situation out.
Again, he glowered at me while the vein on his forehead throbbed and a few beads of sweat gathered on his top lip.
After some consideration on his part, he gave me his very best glare before telling me to watch it in future, and be careful as to what I carried through public areas.
I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a branch long enough to make a spare spear out of tomorrow; that could be fun to explain!