Thursday, July 13, 2006

About the castle, and the Japanese tourist.

Once upon a time, I went to visit Pevensey Castle, with my then boyfriend. We wanted to get our moneys worth from the day, and spent ages exploring every nook and cranny of the grounds and fort, before heading off to discover the main castle.
We stopped for a sit down by a dark, rather foreboding doorway, which led to stairs going down to gods alone knew what.
While we sat, a lone Japanese girl holding a camera came up to us, and asked if we were going to go down the stairs, to which we said yes. She then asked if she could go with us, as it looked too dark and scary for her to do so alone. We said yes, of course she could, and so we all went through the doorway.
I went down the stairs first. As my eyes adjusted to the meagre light, I could see that the stairs followed a wall which led to a large cavern of a hall. On the one side, the wall continued with the steps, but on the other, the wall stopped, giving way to a view of the hall, but what was - or could - be in that hall, could not be seen until you got to that part of the stairs.
Down, slowly down those cold, dark stone steps we went; me still first, followed by the boyfriend, and then the nervous tourist bringing up the rear.

Down...

down...

down into the dark...

and then, I reached where the wall gave way, and I could see what was in that cold stone cavern...

And then I screamed! Screamed at the top of my lungs, and with every part of my soul!

The boyfriend jumped, the tourist screamed before running away as fast as her trainers could carry her!
"What the hell is it?" the boyfriend asked, his voice, panic stricken, as he rushed to my side.
"Oh, nothing" I cheerfully replied, "Just a hall, but I couldn't resist playing a joke on the girl"

I had my fun. Did I do wrong?