Tuesday, May 30, 2006

And I'm back in the land of hot baths, comfy beds, dry feet socks and shoes, and no more people asking me questions about Viking life.
The long weekend was wonderful; good friends, good food, good fighting, and many a quaffing of mead and balancing of ducks when the public had buggered off gone home.
Other than being half drowned by rain on the Saturday, and the occasional tent lifting gale followed by torrential downpours on the Monday, the whole shebang was absolutely brilliant.
We did two fighting displays a day in which we hammed it up spectacularly for the audience, and the rest of the time was spent looking busy in our encampment.
The only aspect I didn't like much, was when people came up and started asking me questions. I can answer things like 'What are you doing?' (easy answer - making a dress) and 'What's it like being a Viking?', but other than that I dread having to talk to strangers, especially when the strangers are small, annoying children, who have decided that your pitch is a playground and the rather expensive beads that are kept a bowl, are now going to be pretend soup.
Note to parents that take such brats children to displays; keep your offspring away from my stuff and me, unless you want to find out just how good I am with a spear. And I do not take prisoners.
But the one total crushing conversation was with a small girl. I was happily minding my own business and chatting to a friend, when the little horror came over.
She looked at me, and said "Are you a boy or a girl?"
I thought the facts that a) I was wearing a dress, and b) said dress had 32D bumps in it might have been a clue, but I found myself asking her "What do you think I look like?"
She stared at me again. And then said...


"A boy!"

I think it may be time to start wearing make-up, and some pink, girly clothing could be a considerable option. *sigh*

Anyhoo, it's great to be back. I'm going to go have a long soak in a radox bath to try and get the aches out of my back, and the field out of my hair.
How are you lot doing? Anything exciting happen over the Bonk Holiday? :)

Extra, 13:02 hours. I've now got some photos up! <- Clicky.