Saturday, October 08, 2005

Pig.Def.

When I was very young, I, as many millions of other very young people did, spent a great deal of time with some very dear friends of mine, in a place called the Hundred Acre Wood.
My friends there were called Pooh, and Christopher Robin, and Eeyore, and Rabbit and Owl, and Kanga and all their family and friends that lived in the Wood as well.
And also a very small creature by the name of Piglet.
All these friends were very special and different. They were all good and kind and helped each other. We played Pooh Sticks together and hid from Woozles, and went to discover the North Pole before tea-time.
And the bravest and kindest friend in those adventures, was the very small creature by the name of Piglet.
Mr Milne who introduced me to these friends had this to say about him.

"Pooh is the favourite, of course, there's no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can't take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comforting to feel him when you are not quite sure whether twice seven is twelve or twenty-two"

When I was very young, I had a Piglet of my own. And Mr. Milne was right, Piglet was a great comfort. And not just to me either.

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."


Piglet cared about his friends. Although there were times when he was very scared indeed, he would do a Very Grand Thing in order to help them.
He made sure that Eeyore had a birthday present so that he wouldn't be sad, and offered his haycorns to Tigger when he was hungry.
Piglet is in my humble opinion,the epitome of all that is good, and kind, and caring and has brought comfort to millions of children and grown-ups, all over the world.

And as I said yesterday, Piglet has been banned.
If I worked in Dudley Council I would not have complied with the 'request'. I would have said "No, I am not going to remove my Piglet. Where is the tolerance and acceptance of MY cultural heritage?"
But I don't work there and I don't think I ever want to either.
I have however, put a picture of Piglet on this Blog. Because Piglet to me, stands for compassion and kindness and is a friend to everyone.
And I will keep it there.
If anybody takes offence at the picture, go look at something else.
If anybody else thinks that banning Piglet is offensive, post the same picture on your blog too.

'To Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Piglets!'

Are you with me?