Friday, June 17, 2005

I've just been rifling through my video cabinet for something, and found my copy of Bill Hicks - One Night Stand.
For those of you who have never heard of the man, he was one of the wittiest, cleverest and funniest comedians that ever graced this earth. Not only could he make you laugh, but he made you think! A rare talent.
I got hooked on the man back in 1990 when flicking through channels late at night, and heard him say "I don't think I smoke a lot, I get through two... maybe three lighters a day... is that a lot?"
My drink came out of my nose and I had tears rolling down my face by the time I finally managed to stop laughing.
Back in '92, I was fortunate enough to go and see him perform at the Dominion theatre, and even more lucky to be right in the front row!
The lights dimmed, the audience hushed, and Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' started playing.
The Man in Black strode onto the stage, the audience whooped and cheered, the music reached a crescendo before Bill took the mic.
The audience hushed.
Bill said "Mood music. Well it suits my mood anyway"
At one point he was talking about how lonely it was 'on tour' looked right at me (honest!) and said "I am sooooo horny right now..." I nearly slid off my seat. If I hadn't been with my (now ex) boyfriend at the time I'd have been at the back door five seconds after the show ended, I'm telling you!
Wow. A man that was funny, sexy, loved animals, with a rapier wit and the rare talent of putting someone down with such subtlety, that they wouldn't even realize until later when they'd finished laughing. That'll do it for me anytime.
The world is a far starker place without him.
I never met him, but I still miss him.