Friday, March 17, 2006

Apologies for the rather late post today, but I've only just woken up. I think I might have needed the spleep after the last few days/weeks/months. I've always had problems sleeping, so to do so for over eight hours, without waking once, has to be a record of sorts.
I've said it before on here that Insomnia sucks. If you have never suffered from it, then think yourself extremely lucky. If you do get it, then my sympathies lie with you.
When you can't sleep because of stress/noise/other demands on life, the worst thing is that you get physically and mentally exhausted, so that when you finally do get to the land of nod, there's not a lot that can wake you up. Well, that's what happens to me anyway.
That, I can tell you from empirical evidence, is a very embarrassing thing to happen in a pub. Being dragged out from your local by two burly ambulance chaps whilst in a semi-coma after only imbibing two pints of cider, doesn't do one's reputation for being able to handle one's drink a lot of credence. But I wasn't drunk. Simply completely exhausted.
I've slept through sound checks at gigs, hurricanes, large explosions nearby, helicopters hovering above the house, and once at a DAS do, the fire alarm going off above my head. They checked to see if I was breathing at that one.
Something else that happens to me, is that I sleepwalk. I haven't done it for a while (actually, I might have done. How would I know if I still do? Pudsey wouldn't tell me, she'd just make me feed her while I'm asleep) but when I have, it's led to some weird and also embarrassing situations.
The strangest by far was when staying at a friends house after a party. I got up, went to the kitchen, cooked a meal for two, laid the table, ate the meal, cleaned up, and went back to bed. At four in the morning. If they hadn't taken a photo I wouldn't have believed them.
The most embarrassing one, was when I was staying at a flat in Fulham many years ago. Waking up stark naked whilst standing out on the fire escape in full view of two local coppers has taught me to A) not sleep naked, and B) never return to Fulham.
I asked some friends a while back (after the semi-coma/pub event) if they could think of anyway I could find out if I still sleep-walked. One of them suggested setting up a webcam and asking you lot to report back to me if I did anything strange during the night, but I decided not to go for that option. How would any of you know the difference between normal and strange behaviour on my part for a start.
Anyway, I'm starting to waffle. I need more coffee. And probably yet more sleep. I think I still have to catch up on that elusive past-time. Else I might find myself falling asleep in the middle of saying some.............