Thursday, December 07, 2006

Twas three weeks before Christmas, and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring...



except for a mouse.

Yep, the latest in the list of wildlife to take residence in my home appears to be a mouse. I'm not sure yet what type it is, but it's brown, about three inches long, and has an attitude of 'Hiya, mind if I stay here for a bit? It's getting chilly outside these days'.
Over the last few years I've been invaded by slugs, put up with an unidentified scratchy thing living in the loft space, squirrel and wood pigeon attacks - both in my garden and inside the house, foxes marching in and taking Pudsey's biscuits, a frog in my bath*, and a woodpecker knocking at my door. I'm half expecting to find raccoons going through my rubbish and herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across my patio next. Maybe I should just leave the doors open, and put a sign up saying 'Welcome to the Hanwell Serengeti - admission £5'
But as to the mousie, I have no idea what to do. I'm loathe to put down poison as a) Pudsey might eat it, and b) it's a cruel and horrible thing to do. Traps - again, Pudsey might put her nose or paw in one, asking it to bugger off hasn't worked, so I'm stumped.
I'd get a cat, but I'm not sure Pudsey would appreciate having another housemate.
Any ideas anybody? Or should I just move out to a tent in the garden, and let nature have the run of the place?

*How it got there I have no idea.